3/28/08

Reunions

There are few more emotionally gratifying moments than a reunion with someone you care about. There's the anticipation of seeing someone you haven't seen for a long time, and then when you do see them, you've grown in such parallel ways that it's like you'd never been apart.

I felt that this last weekend when Mike and Kristina Christopherson stayed with us for a few days. I've known them both since the 7th Grade at Bonneville Junior High in Salt Lake. Everytime I see them, they have such a great way of making you feel good about yourself. We had a great time. I had hoped it wouldn't end, but then of course, the reunion wouldn't be as special.

I noticed it again Monday night when Andrew's friend Sam stopped by. Sam and Andrew became close friends last year, but Sam's family moved to Salt Lake last summer. When Andrew found out Sam was moving, I think it was the first time in his life he had ever felt real, honest sorrow. He stopped by Monday night for just a few minutes. As Andrew waited for him to come over, I could sense his anticipation. When Sam's mom dropped him off, the excitement that both of them felt, while trying to maintain their cool, was obvious.

Both experiences reminded me of the fact that, no matter what friends you have in your life, those that you develop in your youth just seem to stick with you forever.

4 comments:

mike c. said...

Well put, Mike, we feel the same way, although, your thesis needs to be modified slightly to account for the fact that we like and look forward to seeing your awesome wife as much as we like you, even though we've only known her half as long.

Sandi said...

Great Post! I am glad your blog is up and running! We would love to see your family again so please give us a call anytime and we will do the same! We need our girls to get to know each other! Hope everyone is doing well! Take Care

Lisa Lu said...

HI Mike! I found you through Don and Tiff - surprise, surprise. What a very amazing family you have! I can't believe it has been so long since I have seen you guys. We are getting together with Don and Tiff this weekend. So excited. I'm so glad that the Christoffersons are doing well. I think I might have to sneak over to their blog..=) Thanks for letting me snoop. So great to see what you are all up to.

Lisa Lu said...

Bummer...no blog for Mike's fam. Please tell him hello when you can.